How Life After Graduation Changed Me

4 comments
I just love those post its.
Millennials come hither. We all know that life after graduation can for most of us, just plain suck. For some its everything they've always wanted and life slots into place perfectly. However, for people like myself quite the opposite happens. The first few months after graduating I felt like the world was my oyster and I could do anything I wanted. I was free from the shackles of education. The first thing I did was jet off to NYC! I came back more inspired and motivated than ever, I blame Jay Z and Empire State of Mind for that one. This didn't last long as rejection letter after rejection letter took its toll. Here's how life after graduation changed me.



  • Friendships -People started to change and we just began to drift apart. Not due to anyone's fault but just because we may have outgrown each other. It's sad but natural. So much emphasis is on relationship break ups that I don't think we quite know how to deal with friendship break ups. There were some people I had to cut away from, for my own state of mind. The ones that kept bragging and it was all about them and how great they are. I didn't think I could do it (due to me being a wuss) but I did. And I'm happier for it.
  • Rejection. Most of us know we won't get a job straight after university but I was not ready for such rejection. On a scale I've never known before. Even now when I get a rejection letter it still feels like a kick in the... teeth. University keeps you cocooned, much like being in a room full of soft furnishings and calming music. When you leave and are shoved into the real world, it feels like your in the eye of a full on mosh pit!
  • Anxiety. I will be honest and say that I've always been an anxious person, but after finishing education I think it made me more anxious. I suffer with anxiety now more than ever. Whether its from the uncertainty of the future. Or whether it's because all my plans have gone awry, yeah, that unpaid internship which was supposed to lead to a job, it never happened. Or maybe its all of these things together and the added pressure of societies age goals which have left me panting for air.
  • I no longer have the patience to work for free. I was so naive and was just grateful to have something on my CV. That old chestnut they feed you about 'employers being impressed you worked for free' is a lie!!! I could go on and on about this topic but i'll save it for another post.
  • I've gotten so much better at saying YES or NO things!
  • I'm happy with just being me.
  • My response to "how's the job search going?" has changed from "its OK" to *Joey Tribbiani voice* "oh, you know, I should be ready to kill myself any day now." ( Friends -The One With The Secret Closet, yep I watch a lot of Friends). 

How has life after graduation changed you?

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post, thanks for sharing! <3

    I'm your newest follower, please check out my blog if you can;

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think volunteering will give you the edge over two what would otherwise be identical applications. I understand your frustration though, I guess there is only so much you can do and can afford to do. The way round it is to do it in your spare-time. That makes it affordable plus you can harp on in you CV about juggling a full-time job along with voluntary work. x

    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed my time interning for free, I learned a lot and it was fun. I agree and think the best way to do it during spare time and it gives something to write on the ol' CV. I just think employers should market those roles differently. I was constantly told during university and work placements that employers are impressed when someone works for free. So far thats not the case, well no one has told me their impressed yet anyway.

      xx

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.